Mozambique is a beautiful country, but you
will have a far better experience if properly prepared.
A short overview of the documents to carry:
Passport, police clearance certificate, vehicle and trailer registration papers, and insurance certificate. If compliant in Zimbabwe, your vehicle will display the licence and insurance discs, and Third Plate.
Remember the SDC requirements for minors, who require specific documents when crossing borders. For more on this, http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/statements-speeches/621-advisory-new-requirements-for-children-travelling-through-south-african-ports-of-entry-effective-1-june-2015
At Big Sky, we are often asked what the vehicle equipment requirements for Mozambique are. If your vehicle is compliant with Zimbabwe’s statutory requirements, you are well covered.
But unique to Mozambique are the following:
- If towing, you must display Mozambique yellow on blue triangles, which are available from Big Sky. The large decal is to be placed on the right-hand side at the rear of the trailer, and the small decal on the right front of the towing vehicle. Be aware these triangles are required ONLY if you’re towing …
- We also recommend you carry a reflective vest for each occupant in the vehicle.
For your peace of mind, we recommend the following as essential equipment:
- A good map. Big Sky stocks the Mozambique/Malawi InfoMap with GPS coordinates and points of interest.
- You’ll want to drop your tire pressures when off the tar. This will improve your ride over corrugated gravel roads, and significantly reduce the chances of getting stuck in soft sand. An air compressor is essential for reflating tires before driving at high speeds. Big Sky stocks the T-Max 72
litrecompressor which will inflate your 4×4’s tires faster than you’ll finish your Coke.
- A decent tow strap will come in handy when you are a good Samaritan and recover a stuck vehicle …
- Consider fitting a long-range fuel tank and avoid the hassle of jerry cans at the border and the roadside. Big Sky is supplying quality, auxiliary fuel tanks for a wide range of vehicles, including the Ford Ranger, Isuzu (6th generation), Toyota Hilux (Vigo and Revo), Landcruiser (75, 79, 80, 100 and 200 Series), Fortuner; and Nissan Hardbody and Navara, and VW Amarok. For more, visit https://bigsky.co.zw/tales-trails/
- To check availability and price for your vehicle, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/WhatsApp on 0772-420-517
Finally, you could be driving in isolated areas … check the road worthiness of
your vehicle, tyre condition, including the spare wheel. Take it easy and enjoy
the drive, it is not only the destination that is beautiful.
I am Sean, and we look forward to preparing you for your journey to Mozambique.