The following tips will reduce the likelihood of a car-invasion, and get you through the experience OK.
A new development is the assault and mugging of motorists stuck in traffic congestion around the Harare CBD. The criminals are operating from a vehicle, and are likely to repeat the modus operandi.
Other incidents of car invasions include members of ZRP and the City of Harare municipal police climbing into vehicles, uninvited. Followed by attempts to extort the motorist of US$ …
If travelling/commuting around the Harare CBD cannot be avoided, we suggest:
Before Driving Off …
- Get into the habit of seatbelt on and lock doors! Keep your car doors locked at all times with the emphasis on ALL times, applying to both males and females.
- Lock valuables in the boot. Remove “smash & grab” opportunities.
- When out and about, keep your phone charged, with airtime or data.
During an Incident …
- Keep moving. If at all possible, drive to the nearest police station or a public area such as a shopping centre … wherever you will find a crowd.
- Make a noise. Attract attention with hazards on and hoot constantly.
- Message for help. If you are not already on a traffic group then message your local neighbourhood group or similar. You can be confident your community WILL respond.
- Phone for help. Save “In Case of Emergency” numbers into your phone (under ICE or similar).
- Avoid distracted driving. Put your cell phone away while driving and pay attention to your surroundings.
Useful Numbers in the Event of an Emergency
ZRP Harare Central Police Station, Operations: (0242) 748836 (24-hour). Contact for assistance with incidents around the Harare CBD.
ZRP Police General Headquarters Harare: (0242) 703631 (24-hour). PGHQ, Harare Anti-Corruption members will take calls from all over the country, referring you to the most appropriate personnel in your area, where necessary
ZRP Central Traffic (0242) 777640
ZRP Harare Suburban District (0242) 777639
ZRP Armed Robberies – Harare Operations (0242) 777777 / 748836
Avondale (0242) 336361
Avondale CRLO Traffic 0772 746 074
Avondale OIC traffic 0772 949 645
Borrowdale (0242) 860067 / 61
Highlands (0242) 495504
Mabelreign (0242) 305651
Mabvuku (0242) 491069
Marlborough (0242) 301802
Milton Park (0242) 708113
Rhodesville (0242) 495753
Ruwa 0732 132 726
(This list compiled by a Concerned Citizen and updated on 12.09.22)
The Help24Seven Mobile Phone App
We strongly recommend the Help24Seven mobile phone app. Press the EMERGENCY button for three seconds and your location and contact details will be shared with the Control Room, who will promptly call you to assist with your situation. The team will keep checking with emergency services and updating you until they arrive. For more information visit https://help24seven.co.zw/ or call Rodney Beadon on cell/WhatsApp 0772 320 090.
Please share this information with the vulnerable members of your family and community – especially your youngsters and senior family members.
Sean Q. and the Big Sky Team